Friday, June 5, 2009

An Explanation of Time

Two days ago, one week flew off the calendar of our visit. And yet, there is an odd since of having been here twice as long. Each calendar day feels as though it were two. Breakfast to lunch is one day, filled with class, exploration or email. And then, there is this significant pause called siesta, followed by an entirely new day of additional work, walks, supper, more walks, a glass of cerveza or vino tinto, and finally, bed.


At lunch on Wednesday, Cristina invites a young woman, Vicky, and her novio to lunch with us. Vicky lived with Cristina two years ago while studying Spanish. She speaks easily and familiarly with Cristina. I envy their conversational ease. Vicky confesses that she still only understands 90% of her conversations with Cristina. At supper, I clumsily tell Cristina that I am impatient with my Spanish. She says to be patient; she says I´ve only been here one week! Should I expect to learn Chinese or Japanese in one week!?

No comments: